MTA Reasonable Modification Policy
MTA follows all requirements of the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) including amendments to clarify existing rules under 49 CFR Part 27 and 37 implemented on July 13, 2015. Per the new guidelines, MTA has established the following policy and procedures for considering reasonable modifications to MTA policies and practices.
MTA will consider requests for reasonable modifications as follows:
- All requests for reasonable modification will be managed by the Transit Operations Coordinator in coordination with MTA Paratransit services and through existing MTA customer service inquiries
- Whenever feasible, requests for modifications will be made and determined in advance, before MTA is expected to provide the modified service.
- Requests can be made during the Paratransit eligibility process
- Requests can be made through customer service inquiries
- MTA can take up to 21 days to process ADA applications and any ADA Reasonable Modification requests.
- The individual requesting the modification will describe what they need in order to use the service.
- The individual requesting modification is not required to use the term “reasonable modification” when making a request.
- Where a request for modification cannot practicably be made and determined in advance(because of a condition or barrier at the destination of a Paratransit or fixed route trip of which the individual with a disability was unaware until arriving), operating personnel will make a determination of whether the modification should be provided at the time of the request. Operators will make a determination in accordance with existing MTA policies and procedures. Operators will consult with MTA staff for a final determination to grant or deny the request.
- Requests for modifications of policies and practices may be denied only on one or more of the following grounds:
- Granting the request would fundamentally alter the nature of MTA service, programs, or activities
- Granting the request would create a direct threat to the health or safety of others
- Without the requested modification, the individual with a disability is able to fully use MTA services, programs, or activities for their intended purpose
- In determining whether to grant a requested modification, MTA will be guided by the provisions of the United States Department of Transportation 49 CFR Appendix E to Part 37.169
- In any case in which MTA denies a request for a reasonable modification, MTA will take, to the maximum extent possible, any other actions ( that would not result in a direct threat or fundamentally alteration) to ensure that the individual with a disability receives the services or benefit provided by MTA.
A “ Request for Reasonable Modification” form can be accessed and filed by the following:
- Complete and submit the online form by clicking on this web site link: (Download PDF Form Here)
- Paratransit customers can contact the MTA at 563-242-3721
- Request and submit a form at the MTA office(1320 South Second Street).
For more information, please contact the MTA office at 563-242-3721, M-F, 8AM-4:30PM.