We are currently taking applications! The deadline is August 11th, 2017 at 4:30 PM. You can find our application here.
The City of Clinton follows the Code of Iowa, Chapter 400, Civil Service, in conducting examinations and
making appointments for the position of firefighter.
The examination and Civil Service process consists of the following:
- Written Examination
- Physical Agility Test
- Civil Service Oral Interview
- Establishment of a Civil Service list of approved, qualified individuals
The Clinton Fire Department process for Civil Service list certified individuals are as follows:
- Oral interview with candidates
- Upon offer of employment a medical physical evaluation per Iowa Code section 400.8 and the
- MUNICIPAL FIRE AND POLICE RETIREMENT SYSTEM OF IOWA’s medical protocols
- Upon successful completion of the medical physical evaluation the candidate begins as a new recruit in a 4-6 week training program. Under the direct supervision of the Training Division the candidate will train Monday—Friday (0700—1600 hours) and Saturday (0700—1200 hours).
- With completion of the recruit phase the candidate will complete a probationary period of 12 months. During this time the individual will work a 24-hour shift schedule. The Clinton Fire Department monitors and evaluates every new employee’s performance for one year to determine whether further employment in a specific position or with the Clinton Fire Department is appropriate. Upon successful completion of the probationary period the individual will receive a permanent appointment as firefighter.