Request email notification when page changes Email Me


Questions Regarding Sewer and Garbage/Yard Waste/Recycling:

What payment options are there other than coming in to City Hall?

  • Sign up for ACH from your Checking or Savings account.  This is a FREE option for you to make your payment.  You will still receive a bill; and the balance due each month will be drafted from your account. The form is available by clicking here. (Choose Utility Payment ACH Form under Finance Office)
  • Pay online with Online Bill Pay.  This option also allows you to receive an email when your bill is generated & printed – and you can opt out of receiving a bill by mail  - only emailed billing.  There is a 2.65% convenience fee for using this payment option.  To sign up for Online Bill Pay click here.  
  • Dropbox:  Pay with a check or money order, and place in an envelope with your remittance stub in the Dropbox located on 3rd Street, across from City Hall.
  • Mail: Return your payment in the return envelope with the remittance portion to the Finance Department, City Hall, P.O. Box 2958, Clinton, IA  52732

Do I need to contact the City to ‘turn on’ sewer and garbage utilities?
No – contact Iowa American Water for the turn on of your water services.  The sewer and solid waste billing will go to whoever’s name the water is in at the address.

Do I need to disconnect services with the City of Clinton when I move to a new address?
No – we receive the final meter reading for the water meter from Iowa American Water Company and generate a FINAL bill for your services with the City of Clinton based off of that reading date.

Do I need to turn in my garbage carts to the City when I move?
No – please leave the carts at the address.  All carts are the property of the City of Clinton and need to remain at the location for the next tenant.

Questions Regarding Building and Property Requirements:

Can I burn garbage or yard waste?
The burning of residential waste, trade waste, rubbish, disaster rubbish, refuse or garbage is NOT allowed.
Residents with an acre or more of land are allowed to burn yard waste subject to the following parameters:
- Allowed at dwellings of four-family units or less;
- Shall only be permitted on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday;
- Shall only be permitted between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on the days of the week outlined above; and
- Shall only be permitted from April 1 through May 15 and October 1 through November 15 .  
For more information on opening burning, refer to City Code Chapter 103 found here.

When do I need a building permit?
Building permits are generally needed for new construction, new additions, remodels, electrical work, HVAC work, new roof, new siding, fences, decks, water heaters, pools and signs. Please contact Building & Neighborhood Services at 563-244-3360 to determine whether or not a permit is required. More information can also be found here